Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
7000 Miles On Land Tour w/ Bartel 

Post 7000 Miles On Land Tour w/ Bartel
So I just had to post something about this tour on here, since no on has mentioned it yet.

I was incredibly lucky to be able to make it to the first show of the tour in New York City a couple of nights ago, and all I can say is FUCKING WOW! I can honestly say this was the best concert of my life, hands down. Everything was just perfect.

First off, the venue was unparalleled: it was not too big, and not too small; the crowd was lively enough to dance and give a great response to the performers, yet didn't break out into a mosh-pit or anything; the room was well ventilated and it never got too hot, despite all the dancing; and the sound-level was spot on, with it being just loud enough to kick ass, yet didn't leave my ears ringing (I didn't need my earplugs at all!!)

Bartel had an awesome opening set, with a crap load of new material from the upcoming full-length. He played for close to an hour; it was great. After that, Benn took the stage and opened with "Oaklawn UFO", and lead into "Terra Firma". He then played some stuff from LAADH, OATEOE, and Arboreal, and even did a second, live-remixed version of Terra Firma, which sent the crowd wild. Then the kid gloves came off, and Benn whipped out his "DUBSTEP" shit. HOLY HELL... if there was ever even the slightest, tiniest, minuscule fragment of doubt in my mind about what Benn could pull off musically, it was SHATTERED. His new stuff is fucking ridiculous.

He played about 3 or 4 new songs in total, but I'm sure he has a lot more up his sleeves, in the works. The 30 second sample on Soundcloud pales in comparison to the stuff I heard. Trying to put it into words, I'd have to say it's 2 parts Dubstep, 2 parts IDM, 1 part Breakcore. As much as I thought it wouldn't resemble dubstep at all, it still had the some of the characteristic "wobbles" and "wubs" the genre has become infamous for, yet there was a distinct lack of the "build-up/drop" that totally has become so hackneyed. There was a distinct feel of classic IDM and Breakcore infused into the tracks though, with meticulous, savage programming and rhythms. It will totally melt your face. Probably the closest you can come to it right now would be to simultaneously listen to "A Raw Understanding" and Flexing Habitual. I seriously wish you guys are able to hear this stuff soon! It has made me even more furious with the direction "dubstep" has taken though; to see what a truly talented musician can do with just a seed of inspiration from the genre makes what hacks like Skrillex do look like a fucking joke (if it didn't already). My eyes are just opened to how truly unimaginative and derivative the "electronic music scene" can be, and how poisonous the stuff can be.

Overall, Benn pulled from a ton of his albums, including RATASS, REOM, Kirlian Selections, RĂ©union, Flexing Habitual, STAVL, Arboreal, LAADH, and of course Opus. He even had a new "acidy" song where he sang through the entire song!

If any of you guys were there (I was front and center, in case you remember) you know how great of a show it was. If you weren't there, then I implore you, PLEASE, DO EVERYTHING IN YOUR EARTHLY POWER TO MAKE IT TO ONE OF THERE SHOWS. I don't care if you have to take vacation time, or fly around the world, or drive 1,000 miles; you'll be so happy you did.

Hope people are able to make it to at least one of his shows on this tour. Post your concert goings here if you do!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:08 am

Post Re: 7000 Miles On Land Tour w/ Bartel
It's always great to hear that Benn's going in a new direction and that it's going so well.
Thanks for the post, I was dying to get some more information about this new direction Benn is taking. I think that's what fascinates
me the most about his music. All the different styles present in his works. All the diversity.

As much as I would love to go to one of the shows, it's pretty much impossible for me. It's not that I had to take the trip to the U.S - I would totally be down with that.
The problem is that I don't have the time (or the money), because I'm in the process of finding a new place to stay because I get enrolled at a university (the KIT if you're interested).

I do hope that some of you will make it, however. Maybe even get some footage :)

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:56 am
Profile WWW

The other thing I forgot to mention was that Benn's new laptop-less setup is really cool. It's awesome to see him triggering/playing all these songs without the aid of a computer. Makes him that much more of an awesome musician.

Bartel had a laptop, but it seemed like it was only there to synch things up that he was playing; he hardly used it during the performance.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 am

I wish someone had recorded it. :(

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 am

Well, there were a crap ton of people recording parts of it with their iPhones. No idea if any that footage is floating around anywhere, though.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:47 pm

so so jealous... thanks for the review though! It sounds phenomenal. I can't wait to hear myself this new direction his music is taking. Gutted I can't make it to the US :( But I am very excited for when he releases this new material :)

Anyone else who makes the shows, please keep up the reviews!! Love reading them and being kept in the loop :)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:28 pm

fuck dude now im even more sad that I couldn't go. NYC is probably the closest Benn will ever be to me too. :(

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Something similar was debuted in NYC (maybe even the same song; sorry for the poor memory):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HCOixYhNeY

While you can expect more of the insane programming/glitch, you should also expect to hear a bunch of "fast" songs. Think face-melting-IDM-and-Breakcore-with-a-hint-of-Dubstep-wobble.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:10 am

This wasn't posted??? Benn and Andrew had GoPros recording stuff each day of their trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJdfHmnO5qo

I was at the KC show, and I totally agree with WhatNot's review.

relinquish wrote:
I wish someone had recorded it. :(

I recorded the KC show, but Benn asked that I don't share it because of unreleased tracks.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]