Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
What the hell, Benn? 

Post What the hell, Benn?
Why dubstep?

Benn, of course you can dominate the kings of modern cheesewhomp, you've been capable since M^3, then took it beyond what they could ever hope for with "A Raw Understanding" and now it feels like you're placating their audience.

I couldn't finish tracks 1-3 on the new album. Track 4 restored my belief that it actually was The Flashbulb. Track 5 made me really happy to have new music. Track 6? Couldn't finish.

The rest of the album is golden, but being that I've never had to skip through any Flashbulb track, and generally only listen to full albums at a time rather than single tracks, this album really eats at me.

On the bright side, perhaps it'll introduce the fans of the genre to the rest of the music.

Anyway, I needed to vent; thanks for producing such fantastic music for so long, regardless of my personal feelings toward dubstep- I love you guys.

Thanks again,
Aphix

Last edited by aphix on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:47 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: What the hell, Benn?
I actually expected to hear some melodic dubstep with this release, and I feel like it is anything but. If there is a theme to this record it is stocked full of a style and sounds that only Benn can make.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Ok first of all... None of the tracks on Hardscrabble are even dubstep.

Seriously, this album is badass. It's about modern IDM in a style only Benn Jordan can make. None of it is "dubstep." Hell, none of it has an actual set-in-stone genre. That's what makes his music so good. Just because it's not as soft as the past 3 or so albums doesn't mean it's "so bad I can't listen to it." I like world jazz, classical, Tuvan folk, IDM, acid, and dubstep. I love this album just like any other The Flashbulb album. Sometimes Benn's albums can be a little different, but you know it's his work. That's sort of what happened here. Remember STAVL, when that first came out? I know a lot of us were wondering why it was so "different" the first listen. But now that just so happens to be one of my favorite albums of all time.

Give it some time. Just remember it's not dubstep, so you don't have to get all close-minded about it.

EDIT: Quick edit before I forget to mention... How TERRIBLE is that to say Benn is catering to an audience? He doesn't make music just for other people. He makes music that HE HIMSELF enjoys, and other people just so happen to enjoy it as well. That's what being an amazing, successful musician is about.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:19 am
Profile WWW

Thanks, Relemsis. I was coming here to write a few of my own words, but you basically said everything I would have said.

To the OP, keep an open mind my friend.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]