Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
The End Of This Community :( 
Site Admin

Post The End Of This Community :(
I've tried just about EVERY anti-spam measure, and it just doesn't work. PHPBB is just too insecure to make this board less pain that it's worth. I want to thank our mods for helping with the spam, as of right now I have turned off new user registration so it hopefully will be better, just not functional for legitimate new members.

So, what do you guys want? Should I link to the Alphabasic subReddit? Start a forum on The Flashbulb Facebook page? Or are there any spam-free sites that work similarly that you know of?

Hit us with some ideas, desires, complaints, wishes......

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:35 am

Post Re: The End Of This Community :(
Should you see this, and are a real human being who is not a member but would like to be a member, send me an email.

My email address is [my forum username] AT [that email website Google do]. And tell me why you want to become a member, and your thoughts on Pluto no longer being a planet or why real programmers use binary or which Simpson's episode is your favourite - basically anything that makes it obvious you're human.
I will most likely be able to fashion you an account. (Right Benn?)

-------
I know that this community is quite small and often silent for long periods of time, but it's still there when we want it. How would you say most fans communicate with each other regarding Alphabasic matters?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm

I wouldn't want this community moving to Facebook because - frankly - I don't have and don't want an account there.
For the time being, I'd recommend r/alphabasic. That is unless you can find and implement a better forum software.
I can't recommend anything in that area, though.

I've also been thinking about an IRC channel on freenode.net. As a forum, such a channel would be considered 'on-topic' on their network.
I don't know if anyone has experience with running an IRC channel, but as an avid IRC user I'd gladly help getting ourselves on there.
Keep in mind, however, that an IRC channel isn't really an alternative to a static forum or subreddit. Also, I don't even know whether any of you would like and find the time to participate.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 am
Profile WWW

I'll get in contact with a friend who has had experience running a forum and see if he has any suggestions for software.

Barring that, I think moving to Reddit would be best. Facebook interactions leave a lot to be desired. Reddit has a community-based filtering mechanism via the upvote/downvote. Plus, you can sign up anonymously. No commitment needed. I imagine a lot of people don't have time for something like IRC (I don't, at least).

If we find new forum software, migrating the data from this board to the new one would be best. If we move away from forums or we can't migrate the data for whatever reason, I think this board should be kept up, if possible, while locking any new posts. If current users were still able to post here, while the current community is moved elsewhere, it wouldn't be fair to new "members" or fans that discover Alphabasic.

Above all, I wish the spam would just go away, but we know that's not going to happen. :(

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

Friend's response:

"
Looks like you're using phpbb3, with which we had issues so we went back to phpbb2, but that's not possible for you guys. I would take a look at the support thread here (and follow the link at the bottom of the past for updates): https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2122696

I would try different captcha things until I find one that works.
"

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

Well the last two posts in this thread kinda sum this up don't they? :(

Mod note: there were two spam posts above this one - since removed. -Cloud

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Oh wow. In all the midsts of spam I totally missed this thread altogether.

I agree with the general consensus that Facebook is a no-go. I wouldn't mind moving more interactions to Reddit, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for these forums. Even if there isn't much happening on here in the off season, when a new album is around the corner, all the old fans come out of the woodwork like clockwork. It's a nice little place to call home, and I'd hate to see it go.

It's also nice that we kind of have our own private little system for release heads-ups. I really, really appreciated the Hardscrabble pre-order announcement on here, and that it wasn't super publicized (you know, on Twitter of Facebook or something). It made getting in those first pre-orders much easier.

Anyway, that's just my 2ยข.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:02 am

I would really really love to see this place stay as a part of the Alphabasic website. Indeed it's quiet at times, but its awesome as a small community. Even if we had to keep new user registration turned off, i think it's well worth keeping this place going. Anyone new who genuinely wants to join in could easily email you guys and ask for an account, so i don't see it as a problem.

I would definitely avoid fb, and have never used reddit so i can't comment. Always preferred forums.

Even if i don't post for a while, i always check here to see what everyone is up to and what is going on. Getting heads up on releases and other inside news through this forum has been amazing, and i'd love to see it continue that way as i believe 99% of the regular posters on here always get the special edition releases :D

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]