Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Autechre 

Post Autechre
As I went through some of their albums the other day, I wondered if anyone here has some
listening experiences (as Autechre is something you have to learn to appreciate or get into, I think).

For me, it all started with Oversteps. I was browsing Bleep one day in 2010 and came across
the album. The cover art was intriguing and I decided to purchase the CD.
I didn't know what to expect, because I hadn't really listened to anything Autechre before.

Suffice it to say that the first listen left me confused. I couldn't really get into it and known(1)
was the only track I had appreciation for.

Thinking of giving the album another chance some weeks after that, I discovered some more tracks
that were to my liking. I went ahead and bought Incunabula, because I thought it would be interesting
to listen to their first real record. I loved it. After that, I bought Amber, then Tri Repetae,
Confield and Move Of Ten. Then I went back to Oversteps and couldn't believe how
great the album really is. Subtle, hidden melodies and layered, intricate beats.

There are many great tracks, but I consider these my favourites:
444, Doctrine, Autriche, Windwind, Yulquen, Clipper, Gnit, Pen Expers, MCR Quarter, M62,
iris was a pupil, r ess, known(1), Treale, d-sho qub.

Right now, I am waiting for my order of EPS 1991 - 2002 and LP5.

Looking back, I'm so glad I decided to buy Oversteps that one day. I probably wouldn't have discovered
Autechre otherwise.
Together with Benn, Kettel and BoC, Autechre is now one of my favourite bands and
while it certainly takes a long time to get into the 'genre', it is definitely worth it.

tl;dr: I love Autechre. Any experiences you can share?

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Autechre
I've had little to no experience with Autechre. I'll put them on my list of artists to check out.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

I'm a big minimal techno guy, and I've heard Autechre is supposed to be right up my ally. I never got around to listening to them, though. I guess I'll go get on that when I have time, right? :) Would you say they're similar to like, Boards of Canada, or other early techno?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Their earliest and most accessible albums (Incunabula, Amber etc.) show that there's definitely a techno influence.
While this also applies to their most recent releases, you might be thrown off track because their work is
largely experimental (algorithms, generative melodies).
I wouldn't say they're similar to BoC. They might have the same roots, but BoC mostly creates songs that are warm
and nostalgic whereas Autechre produces cold and calculated beats with a much darker tone.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 am
Profile WWW

Sounds like my kind of stuff :twisted: I'll check it out, then. Thanks man! :)

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]